Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Message: "He Can Be Pleased"

Thanksgiving Message (Christ is Kings Sunday)

Title: He Can Be Pleased

Text: Various

In times when my heart is found to be unthankful and I pray from that perspective, I realize that I have reversed my understanding of serving God. I understand that my heart is focused on what may or may not make me happy. If it makes me happy, then I am thankful for it. However it the matter displeases me then I become unthankful. Because I tend to be this way, I have learned to ask the question, what is God thankful for, and then pray that He aligns my heart to that very thing.

When we have this issue of thanksgiving in reverse order, we begin to live and pray as if we were King and God the servant. Therefore, during this week that we call Thanksgiving may we celebrate it and in light of where we find ourselves on the Church Calendar. This is the last week of our church calendar, that being “Christ the King Sunday” (It’s ok to think this way on Saturday). From this perspective let us focus our time together understanding that we are called as Christians to…

MAIN POINT: Be thankful in what pleases God.

What pleases God?
1. Single minded service to Christ… Romans 14:18
MSG© 14:18 Your task is to single-mindedly serve Christ. Do that and you'll kill two birds with one stone: pleasing the God above you and proving your worth to the people around you.

2. Right thinking… Psalm 104:34:
NLT© 104:34 May all my thoughts be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the Lord.

3. Prayer for all, that leads to peace, quietness and salvation…1 Timothy 2:1-4
NET 2:1 First of all, then, I urge that requests, 1 prayers, intercessions, and thanks be offered on behalf of all people, 2 2:2 even for kings 3 and all who are in authority, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. 2:3 Such prayer for all 4 is good and welcomed before God our Savior, 2:4 since he wants 5 all people 6 to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

4. Sacrificially doing good by sharing what you have… Hebrews 13:16
13:16 And do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, 11 for God is pleased with such sacrifices.

WE: What is God thankful for in our local church?
1. Our efforts in reaching out to our community.
2. Our children’s ministry is bringing joy to children who may not have much of
it in their lives.
3. Mentoring our our youth.
4. We worship with purpose.
5. We are learning that when our worship is about exalting God, all else falls
in line.
6. Teens are becoming difference makers in our world.
7. Teens are changing the way they look at their world around them.
8. Teens that are hurting are being comfort.
9. Teens are beginning to make an impact on their families.
10. His Word is being delivered outside of the walls of this place of worship.
Over the last month: Australia (14); Russia (6); Germany (3);
1 each from Brazil, Columbia, Indonesia and Latvia.

No comments: